From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:05:21 -0400
Howdy

I wrote:
>>The question for me arises as to what to do next year.  The vet swore up
>>and down that we shouldn't vaccinate Spikey, even if we pretreated him.

Jaime replied:
>I have a question- isn't the distemper vaccine good for at least 3 years?
>I didn't think this was a vaccine you had to give *every* year...

That is a very good question.  To the best of my knowledge, FERVAC-D has
only been tested and proven for use in ferrets at a one year interval.
Those of you who know more, please correct me if I am wrong.  However,
having said that, it is suspected that the vaccine does indeed provide
coverage for longer than the one year period.  Hence, my plan for Spikey
is to have his titer level tested every year to determine whether or not
he needs to be revaccinated.  If/when he does need a vaccine, I'll go the
Galaxy-D route.  Again - please let me know if you have any additional
information on this topic; I really want to do the right thing for my
Spikey boy.

Happy ferreting!
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
http://www.geocities.com/sageferrets