From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 14:45:07 EDT
Sukie wrote:
>Judy, thank you and your ferrets so very, very much for supplying the
>blood samples needed to help advance ferret veterinary care in relation
>to ADV..."

Sukie,
I do want to say that other people have also donated their ferrets' blood,
saliva and urine samples.  There are too many to name, but I hope they will
"stand up" and be counted here.  I'm not doing this alone.

There is NOTHING more important to me right now than getting this research
done.

This research is CRUCIAL!  No one should ever feel that it's "can't happen
to their ferrets", because you simply can never know what ferret may carry
the virus.  Most ADV positive ferrets never show symptoms, but can spread
it.  In fact, my Kodiak's test results from Dr. Stephon in PA were:
"Negative for the antibodies" (what the CEP test from United tests for),
but "positive for the antigens" (pieces of the virus).  To me, this is
incredibly scary because it means that ferrets can test negative, yet
still spread the virus.

I do know, however, that, right or wrong, some people were turned off by
the arguing/finger pointing that went on between AFA/LIFE and several of
the people involved with this current "outbreak" (for want of a better
word) of ADV, and so have chosen not to contribute to the fund which was
set up.

I have been talking to one of the research vets, Dr. M.A. Stevenson in GA.
She is a vet and a virologist.  She is a very caring and compassionate
woman and cares deeply about ferrets.  She has great hopes that a vaccine
can be developed...despite what most others say.  In that regard, if any
of you have hesitated to donate to the current research fund (not that I'm
insinuating that there is any reason not to donate to that fund), there
is an alternative.  You can donate directly to Dr. Stevenson's team.  She
intends to do her very best to develop a vaccine, which I'm sure no one
would argue that we need.  She said that even donations of $10.00 can help
purchase supplies as neither of the research teams are receiving funding
from the current research fund.

If you cannot afford to donate $10.00, PLEASE get together with a friend
and each contribute $5.00.  If you can't afford that, PLEASE find 9 friends
and each contribute $1.00.  You couldn't see me if I got down on my knees
and begged, but I would do it in a heartbeat if you could.  It's too late
for my ferrets, but it's NOT too late for yours!!!

The info is as follows (sent by Dr. Stevenson to me):
"Checks can be made out to "University Foundation" and earmarked for
"ferret ADV research program." You can send checks directly to me at

M. A. Stevenson, DVM, PhD, DACVS
209A Vet Med Building
Dept. of Small Animal Medicine
UGA College of Veterinary Medicine
Athens, GA  30602-7390

I will personally insure that they are deposited in the correct account
and that you get official notice of the donation (which is tax deductible).
I want to again thank you for anything you are able to collect for the
research program.  It all adds up and will make a tremendous difference in
what we are able to accomplish for ferrets."

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all for anything you can
contribute.

Judy