From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:57:49 -0400
To Martha and other interested insulinoma ferret owners:

There simply is no reason for a ferret with insulinoma to experience
continuing episodes of hypoglycemia (not really "seizures" but may lead
to this in the extreme).  The daily administration of prednisone has long
been prescribed to relieve this symptom of insulinoma.  The ferret often
goes on to live happily, and symptom-free, for a year or more.  We have not
found that surgery prolongs life in these cases and so opt not to do it,
but that is a personal choice that each owner must make.I've been working
with ferrets for 20 years now, and running a shelter for 10 years.  A lot
of insulinoma has come our way.  We treat daily with 5 to 10mg of
prednisone (depending upon the ferret's size and duration of disease),
plus an antibiotic (usually ampicillin, or if there are other problems,
Baytril) because steroids lower the immune system, so the antibiotics are
supportive.  The medicating is made easy by introducing the ferrets to
lactose-free milk (these guys are lactose intolerant but love milk) which
they love, adding a little nutrical to cover the taste of the meds, and
they take their medicine with gusto.  The easiest source of lactose-free
milk is in the baby food section of the supermarket; it is made by Enfamil
and called "Lactofree".  If the ferret has normal weight, you can also use
the ready-made stuff in the dairy section, with the other milk.  It is
usually skim milk so if you need to put weight on the ferret, the baby
formula is the better choice.  This milk method is perfect for any ferret
having to take meds.  This way you can make use of the tablet form of
prednisone and antibiotics, which are immensely cheaper than the liquid
type and seem to agree with the ferret's stomach better.  You just crush
them and mix them into already warmed milk.  Caution: Never use regular
milk with ferrets.  Most of our insulinoma cases have lived relatively
happy lives from 1 to 2 1/2 years after diagnosis and have had no recurring
hypoglycemia.  Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions.

Carolyn at Ferret Rescue in Colorado Springs