From:
Anne Marie Voegeli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:22:54 -0700
Dooks & Grunts to all!

I would like to ask how many of you have ferrets who noticeably have an
adrenal problem, but don't need the surgery because your ferret or ferrets
are living normally.

We have Molly who is very patchy and has a completely bald tail except for
the very very tip which has about 10 hairs straight off the top.  It looks
really cute!  The top of her head down to the middle of her back, and her
belly are hairless.  (Her head looks like the bear from John Candy's movie,
The Great Outdoors!!) The rest of her hair is very soft to the touch, and
so is her skin.  Her vulva is very small right now.  She goes through
periods of the vulva getting larger and a little discharge, which we were
told by our vet to clean with a warm cotton ball everyday.  Then after a
period of time, her vulva goes down again.  Obviously not from cleaning
with cotton, it's the hormone level that changes.  We take her in every 6
months for bloodwork and watch her very closely.

We have a very reputable vet who we love and trust very much - Dr. Nye at
Midwest Bird & Exotic Animal Hospital in Westchester, Illinois.  He's so
caring and very intelligent, and really looks out for the best interest
of all animals he treats.  As long as there no bad signs and she's living
happy, playing, sleeping, eating, pooping and drinking, we are told there
is no need for surgery.  Her body mass is very solid as well, even though
she's tiny.  She's been living this way for a couple of years now, and
doing absolutely great!

Does anyone else out there have a cute little baldy that doesn't need
surgery yet, or is everyone advised to have surgery?  Just a curious
question because there are so many little ones who seem to need surgery,
and we feel very lucky and blessed that our Molly is doing this well.

Dooks!

A Snappy Happy Day Wish To You!!
Anne Marie