Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:41:41 -0400
From:
Melissa Drake <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I think disqualification is a little harsh for genetic malformations and
>genetic problems - the owners may be unaware (first time show folks) and
>the standards for judging should be in place for not rewarding bad
>ribcages, crooked/malformed noses and jaws, etc.

I don't think there's anything harsh about listing standards of health for
show ferrets.  If the owners are unaware that their ferret doesn't conform,
or has a serious fault, then bringing them to the ring will tell them as
such.  There's no need to be nice about it.

Dog and cat shows have a list of 'disqualification' faults in show animals,
and having ferret faults being based on what is genetically bad for the
ferret is a lot kinder than, say, white markings or roaning (example
fault for many dog breeds).

Mel