Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:01:47 -0400
From:
Well, I'm sure that everyone knew that yesterday's post about Angora
Ferrets would cause at least one follow up post ... it's always good
to hear opinions from both sides of an issue ...

I just want to tell you about my experience with my Angora Ferret ~ Gurgi
  ... because it is pretty much the opposite of everything wrote yesterday.

Gurgi came from Parrots of the World, which is advertised in Modern Ferret
Magazine.  Eric and Mary of Modern Ferret also have an Angora Ferret which
they have written about in their magazine ~ just in case you would like to
hear of another opinion on them.  Gurgi was named after a character in the
Disney movie "The Black Cauldron".  He was comical and described as a
furball, which I thought was quite fitting.

I am anything but disappointed with Gurgi, he is extremely lovable and
intelligent.  When I first brought him home, he was the funniest baby
ferret that I had ever seen.  Nothing stopped him from dancing and playing
except for ... eating and eating and eating.  He never, even as a baby,
had a problem with being nippy.  I also never had to teach him to use the
litterbox, he did that on his own.  He is now two and has calmed down a
lot, although anytime that you are ready to play, he will play with you.  I
rarely if ever brush Gurgi and his coat is just fine, "not to mention" he
has no greater chance of getting fleas then any other ferret!  I did not
get Gurgi to show, in fact, I was told that angora's do not show well at
all.  I did not get Gurgi because I thought he would be anymore
"aesthetically pleasing" than any other ferret.  I'm not sure what was
meant by the statement that they are more prone to problems, but if
you're talking about medical problems, I have heard quite the opposite.

His differences ~ he has longer hair.  Oh yeah, and he has the longest
tongue that I've ever seen, it's so cute how it curls at the end when he
yawns ... although he doesn't use it to stereotype humans and say bad
things about them.

Actually I'm very disappointed that a ferret owner would make such a
general discriminating statement such as ... "I, personally, would think
twice before obtaining one of these ferrets."  As ferrets owners we fight
ferret ignorance on a daily basis, is there any reason to make it more
difficult.  Yes, you personally might think twice about getting an Angora,
however you could have got your point across without stereotyping all
Angoras as psychotic's.  I'm also not trying to start a debate over
angoras ... just informing others of my personal experience.  Oh, yeah,
and if having an Angora makes you a collector then ...

Sincerely,

the "Ferret Collector"