From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:04:25 -0400
Tammy, obviously, you have read enough to realize that it may or may not
be ECE.  Now, you need to get the kit to the vet for a check-up and have
stool checks done.  There are many possible causes of green stools (just as
there are of seedy stools), and if you are lucky if there is an infecting
organism some of it will show up in the samples.  Treatments vary according
to cause.  Given how young your's is I have to wonder what the living
conditions were before.  Some DO come from pet stores with infections.

Warp came here after being returned TWICE to a pet store from separate
abusive homes; besides needing a lot of help for the extreme fears that
resulted she was also infected with coccidea.  She was a "pay the
distributor's price" situation.  The pet store refused to treat their
animals after coccidea was found, but coccidea can have dangerous and
sometimes fatal blooms, so we contacted both the breeder and the state
office which licences pet stores.  No choice.  If they'd treated it would
have been a lot easier for all, and the meds are not expensive, either,
The state found coccidea in a number of their carnivorous mammals (multiple
species) and forced them to treat and place the remaining mammals elsewhere
without destruction; they transferred them to their other store after
treating.  The state also prohibited them from carrying any mammals at
the location for 6 months and increased their inspections as a punishment.
Marshall Farms refused to sell to them until they went with larger housing
for the ferrets, free of cedar, so half a year later they got one of those
open-topped huge hexagonal plastic cages that also keep the inquisitive
fingers of children with panicy parents safe from kit teething.  (There
are no optimal housing answers for kits but entire cages of kits have been
forced to be destroyed and tested by freaking parents now and then when a
child sticks in fingers and pokes.)  Being so widely spread it's anyone's
guess where the coccidea first came from but it was all over in that store,
and had probably passed into a number of households by the time it was
caught, infecting other animals.

Have to agree with Ronnie: depending on the subset of interest there are
multiple "best" vets.  She mentioned Bruce and Charlie, but if some
different things were of interest I'd think of Debbie Kemmerer, or Kathy
Quesenberry, or a number of others.  The best surgeon we ever found was
Hanan Caine who now is in The Village at St. something vet hospital.  It's
a broad field with many different talents, abilities, and pieces of
knowledge needed -- leaves a lot of room for many to be the "best" at
certain subsets.

MC wrote:
>Randy, Banana chips will not hurt a ferret.  Banana chips are dried and
>the instant they get wet, they again return to the slimy state they were
>in before they were dried.

Errrr, MC, there actually HAVE been some reports here and privately over
the years of ferrets with blockages blamed on dried bananas.  Perhaps
you've got a kind of 'naner which is friendlier than some.  What the chips
in that food are like, I don't know; only know that carrot pieces and dried
bananas have been mentioned in relation to blockages.