Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:15:44 EDT
Hi everyone,

Well, heartbreak has struck.  For the first time in more than 10 years I
am without a ferret after the death last week of my darling shelter boy
Jasper.  He was just shy of four years old.  Three weeks ago I'd noticed
a small tumor on his forehead and after waiting a week to be sure it wasn't
a bug bite of some kind, brought him in for a biopsy or surgery.  His
appetite had gone down and he wasn't as active as usual, so I feared the
worst -- the Big C.  The tumor proved benign, but I think he probably
already had pneumonia then and nobody knew it.  He wasn't coughing or
feverish or showed any of the other signs of pneumonia like people do.  But
after the surgery he just got worse.  I force-fed him duck soup for two
days before bringing him back to the vet.  The vet was also mystified -- we
did a CBC and some other tests, all negative -- but then an x-ray showed
one lung almost blocked by congestion.  He was at the vet's for three days
and died of pneumonia after at least two strong antibiotics failed to
arrest the disease.

Two months ago I lost his shelter mate Roamey, also adopted from FARI.
Roamey had adrenal cancer in his right gland and the surgeon my vet sent me
to recommended against surgery because of its location and the likelihood
it would just grow right back.  Roamey lived for a year after the initial
diagnosis, and though he lost most of his fur, for all but the last couple
of weeks he was pretty active and seemed be enjoying life.

Altogether, I've had seven ferrets over the past 18 years.  My apartment
has a spare bedroom just for the ferrets with lots of toys, boxes & stuff
to play in, comfy sleeping areas and a supportive landlord.  The ferrets
stay in this bedroom while I'm out of the house.  When I'm home they
usually have the run of the apartment, which is very ferret-safe.  I also
take them on leashed walks in the yard and gardens outside.  I'm getting
married next year and will move into my future husband's home, a split
level with a finished basement that will be the kids' quarters.  My
boyfriend is supportive of my wish to adopt more ferrets -- heck, he's
the one who suggested it :)

I want to adopt from a shelter or from somebody who needs to find a loving
home for their kids.  I don't want to perpetuate the 'ferret mill' syndrome
by buying from a pet store.  I would go right back to Holly & Moe Cyr at
FARI except I moved last year and now live in upstate New York, near
Binghamton, a good six hours' drive each way from the Cyrs' shelter.  If
they remember Jasper and Roamey (whom they saw at a ferret frolic a year
after the adoption) I'm sure they'd give me a good reference, and my vet
would too.  I would like two males of similar ages if possible, the more
affectionate the better, and no biters please!

Hope to hear from someone soon! Life without fuzzies isn't much fun!!!

Susann