From:
Laura Horovitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:51:51 EDT
We just found a ferret, Barret, who was wandering around our house eating
our dogfood that we put out for our raccoons.  She is darling.  We
immediately took her to the vet for her shots and check up and they also
bathed her.  The vet said he could not determine the age but it was a
female.  We bought her a four story cage and lined it with carpet.  It has
not even been a full week we have had her but she sleeps almost 90% of the
time.  She does get up to go to the bottom floor to go to the bathroom and
eat and drink.  We bought her totally ferret and give her ferrotone (SP?)
as a treat and mixed in her food.  Her fur is very very coarse and she is
so skinny you can see the rib and butt bones.  It breaks my heart that
someone didn't even try to put flyers up for this darling.  We have no idea
about Ferrets and that is why we subscribed to this mailing list in hopes
of ideas and advice.  Our main concern is her underweight and lack of
wanting to get out of the cage to play.  She is very stinky too.  But we
love her and know she will get well soon.  I will keep everyone posted on
Barret's condition but if anyone has any advice about her sleeping please
let us know.  In fact, any advice is great!!  We have 4 cats and 2 hamsters
and have never known a ferret!

Thanks!
Laura