From:
Steve and Diane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:29:10 -0400
>I saw a post on here a few days ago about someone's ferret who is deaf
>and tends to scream occasionally, even if there's nothing wrong.  We
>think one of ours is deaf too- I'm just wondering if you figured this out
>for yourself, or how do you know yours is deaf?

This may have been my post even if it wasn't I am still going to try and
answer you question since I have a deaf ferret.  When we first got our baby
Cleo her owner mentioned that he thought she might be deaf.  After having
her for seveal weeks we were pretty certain she was and our vet agreed.  We
knew this because nothing effected her when it came to noises.  You can
test your fuzzie seveal ways all of course involve using noise.  I find
that I can shake a ball that has a bell in it near her and she doesn't do
anything or I can make a loud bang near her and she will not jump or
anything but I think the one thing that pretty much told me she was deaf is
when I could go in her room while she was sleeping and do anything and make
any kind of noise and she would not wake up.  She had to see me before she
would get up or when I go in to let the other 2 out of their cage I have to
gently put my hand on her so as not to startle and she will wake up.  I
think it is pretty much a process of elimination when trying to decide if
you have a deaf ferret or not..................also one of the posters here
has a great website you can visit regarding caring for deaf ferrets.  Here
is the site http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/deaf.html

hope this has been of some help and please check out the above site it
helped us a lot and I'm sure it will do the same for you :)

DianeK,wiggles,cocoa,cleo and daddy too!!!!