From:
Amy Flemming - WORK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:13:00 +0800
> From:    "Michael \"Mick\" Schmid" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: controversial subject
>Ferrets have been in the US for over 300 years as domestic animals, and
>there are no, I repeat NO, instances of them surviving as feral animals.

However, ferrets ARE feral in New Zealand.  AND they are having a problem
with them.  They are also trying to ban ferrets as pets in NZ due to this
problem (depleting the native flightless birds, etc - ferrets are not the
only ones that are doing this in NZ).  This behaviour is just irresposible
to the environment of NZ as well as cruel to the animals and breeder/owner
of said ferrets.

>Yes, the ferrets in question were living in substandard conditions,

This is not something that has been confirmed.  The group stated they
were - but what is "too small" to them - or us, for that matter?

>From:    Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
>Like living in a filthy cage for years slowly dying and finally succumbing
>of starvation, thirst and disease after years of misery.

This does go on - I have seen it several times.  However, I do not think
the ferrets at Bruce's in NZ were of that neglect.  I have seen photos of
his ferets - both adults and kits - when I was thining of importing more NZ
ferrets.  The adults were healthy looking, attentive, and well groomed.  I
know that photos can hide lots of things as can good grooming.  However,
these photos showed nicly kept nails, coats, etc.  These hobs did not even
have the dirty eye rings that I have seen in others!  Granted I have not
seen photos of his cages ...  I am sure others in NZ have.

>From:    "Michael \"Mick\" Schmid" <[log in to unmask]>
>Those poor ferrets have practically no chance of survival, and if they
>were lucky enough to avoid predators stand a good chance of starving to
>death.

This brings to mind the ranch mink that were "set free" in the UK a while
back.  They were being hit by cars, attacking people's pets and children,
etc.  because they were starving and had no hunting/survival skills.  Sheer
abuse if you ask me.

>From:    Sam <[log in to unmask]>

EXCELLENT post, Sam.

>From:    Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
>IMHO one of the top 5 rules of companion animal breeding - never breed
>more than you can take back.  I.e.  if you breed and give away or sell the
>babies you should be prepared to taken back those babies/adults and rehome
>them if necessary.  No one else should have to rescue and deal with a
>breeders stock.

Agreed.  However, there is no way that would ever happen with the "mills"
that put ferrets in pet stores.