From:
Jason and Holly Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:20:20 -0400
Once again posters have had some great comments!!

I feel that I have to clarify myself though.  When I posted the question:
"Do the same people that feel it's wrong to breed deaf ferrets feel that
it's wrong for deaf humans to produce offspring?  I mean after all
deafness is a defect, right?"

I meant that no matter what animal, the babies have no choice in being
born and there's no guarantee that you're going to get deaf babies or
babies that can hear.  I wasn't raising the question that deaf humans make
lousy parents...I don't agree with that statement.  The second part of my
post regarding the defect...I never said it was a defect, I was being
sarcastic.

Josephine, you did a great job of disagreeing without flaming (in fact you
all did).  Thank you!  I don't know that I would look at human deafness as
a minority.  I used to...until I moved to the town I'm in now.  I see all
kinds of "defects" as a lot of you would put it, but it doesn't slow these
people down one bit!

Wonderful post Todd...that's my point.  Appreciate all the beasts that
come into your life, no matter what their "defect".