From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1993 23:38:54 -0500
> concensus is that Ayla is a fitch ferret and, therefore, is not as
 domesticated
> as a ferret from a Pro breeder.  I also didn't get her until she was 5-6
 months
> old so I missed that critical developement stage.  Damn.

It's possible that she's a fitch (ferret/polecat hybrid), but I sort of
doubt it.  I would be more prone to say she was abused by her previous
owner, not handled, or just plain has a bad attitude.

> Anyway, a new issue.  Since Ayla's surgery (to remove her adrenal tumor) she
> has lost a tremendous amount of weight.  When she musters up enough strength
> to wander around for a few minutes, you can clearly see all of her ribs and
> her pronounced hips.  It is quite alarming.  I do catch her having a lone
> morsel once in a while...but clearly it is not enough caloric intake.  My

First of all, try just putting the food on the bit of skin between her
nose and her mouth, maybe she'll lick it off.  If you try to squirt food
into a ferret's mouth they will almost invariably shake it out.
Wheras if you get them to lick it, them might find they like it.

Other ideas:

Get some Enfamil or Sustacal or (any similar product) from the drug
store.  It's a complete nutrition liquid that tastes like a milkshake.
She'll most likely take that, try the dropper method I just described
above to give it to her.  (if they have it, try to get the kind that
has extra protein)

If she's not drinking on her own, give her gatorade, too.

Also, get some Nutrical or Nutristat from your vet or pet store.
It's a high calorie paste that's for giving animals energy.  It's
probably not as good as the Enfamil, but they love the taste, and
it will help give her energy, and maybe stimulate her appetite.

Good luck!  If you need advice, feel free to call me at (215) 255-4436.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets