Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:19:40 EDT
First off, thanks to all who wrote me about Cully after my first post, in
which I reported that he was now showing adrenal signs in addition to his
insulinoma and lymphoma.

We went to the vet on Saturday (and saw Cully's favorite vet tech :) and
got some good news and some bad news.  The bad news was that since Cully's
first adrenal was a product of his lymphoma rather than actual adrenal
disease, it's likely that Lupron will not work for him, because the second
incidence of adrenal is likely to be due to the lymphoma as well.  However,
there's a possibility that this time it is regular old adrenal disease, so
we're trying the Lupron-- the only side effect seems to be hot flashes,
which isn't too bad.  We've got AC ;)

The good news is that his fasting blood sugar was up to 70 (from 60 the
last time), and his lymph nodes and spleen have gone down in size since
his last visit in February.  I've noticed increased lethargy and hind limb
weakness on his part, so we've increased the pediapred to .5ml twice a day,
and I've already noticed a dramatic improvement in his energy level.  So
all in all, his more serious problems are looking better than I thought.
This time last week I was afraid that I was going to lose him any day, but
it seems like tough old Cully's got some quality time in him yet :)

A while back people were comparing Lupron costs-- Cully will be taking the
one-month shot, and at Angell Memorial in Boston that's $18 for the shot,
plus the vet or vet tech basic appointment fee.  I would have paid whatever
it took, but I have to say it was a relief after some of the costs other
people have reported around North America.

Regina (moving to a ferret-friendly apartment next weekend!  Yay!  The
ferrets are in the lease and everything!)

Regina Harrison  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

         This city is an ogre squatting by the river
         It gives life but it takes it away, my youth
       There comes a time when you just cannot deliver
         This is a fact. This is a stone cold truth.