From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:56:06 -0400
>From:    Laura <[log in to unmask]>
>Shouldn't the term 'adoption' be restricted to use for animals that
>are surrendered or homeless, ie, rescues in need of adoption into a
>forever-home?  Or, more specifically, is it really correct to offer your
>bred kits for adoption?  To me, that adds an air of rescue and desperation
>to the kits, which isn't really deserved.

Speaking only for myself as a former rescue and breeder, I prefer adoption
to selling simply because I don't sell my ferrets to everyone who calls or
asks about them.  Just the opposite, I probably spend more time talking
people out of my ferrets than I do into them.  I want my babies to go to
good homes and be well loved and cared for.

I wouldn't placed unfixed kits with a wannabe breeder who thinks she can
cross my ferret with a pet store ferret and get kits.  I don't place
animals in homes where it sounds like they are wanted as a status simple
rather than a beloved family member.  I don't place any ferrets in homes
where the callers tell me stories about getting their animals high or
drunk.  I discourage ferrets in homes with lots of birds, because I don't
want to hear about any fo the birds being renamed dinner.  I always took
back ferrets I had previously placed and made a 100% refund no matter how
lame the excuse.

I charged a fee.  Caring for ferrets, feeding them, vet bills, shots, toys
and keeping enough cages on hand, "just in case" isn't cheap, even with
donated cages and making bedding from the cheap items in thriftstore boxes.

KG