From:
Shannon Venis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:35:05 EDT
Well, I figured out why (I hope) Linus and Sineve are so anemic.  FLEAS!!!
I found one crawling on Linus last night.  So, I called June first thing
this morning to see what I should use on them to get rid of the nasty
little creatures.  Dr. Kohler (the vet that the shelter here uses)
suggested Advantage for kittens in a 0.2 dose.  So after many phone calls I
found a vet nearby who carries advantage and sent Matt to pick it up.  The
vet there proceeded to tell him that he couldn't use it on ferrets because
it wasn't made for ferrets.  Matt said, "Okay, what is?" Oh, well guess
what?  Nothing really and this vet doesn't even see ferrets anyway!!!
Knows close to nothing about them at all.  So Matt gets the Advantage and
gets ready to leave, the vet then tells him that FERRETS ARE ILLEGAL IN
INDEPENDENCE!!!  Even gives Matt a number to call animal control and ask
them.

So, Matt calls and a moron at animal control tells him that YES ferrets are
illegal in Independence.  BECAUSE they cannot be vaccinated against rabies,
they are a WILD animal and are considered an "exotic" pet.  I called the
ferret shelter here and asked Bobbi.  She says that whoever Matt talked to
was full of shit.  LOL

She said that ferrets are NOT illegal in the city of Independence, she is
friends with the head of the animal control department and he has sent her
a copy of the ordinance regarding ferrets as pets and they most definitely
are NOT illegal.  Now she is calling to set straight whomever Matt talked
to!!  LOL Whew, what a day!!!