Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:14:48 -0600
I have tried to read some of the Aug. postings to try to know how all of
you are doing.  I want to keep learning from all of you, and I miss keeping
in touch with you guys like I did last winter.  The summer is crazy, fast,
and furious.

I am sorry for Julie and her loss of Cash, for Troy Lynn's ongoing trials,
and all of the rest of you who have pain in your hearts.  I think of Mike
Janke who is recently into brushing his ferrets' teeth, Lissette and her
mission to help all who cannot help themselves, and all of the rest of you
who are busy being good ferret mommies and daddys.  All of you help make
this world a better place.  I want to believe that there are more good
people like you, than the kind who inflicted such cruelty that brought
tears to my eyes this morning when I read the FML.

I couldn't believe the story of the poor little ferret who had all of his
toes cut off.  It is very hard for me not to wish the same for the rotten
person who did such an unforgivable thing.  I can just see the trust in
the little ferret's eyes as the person picked him up, never imagining what
was about to happen to him.  For God's sake, aren't there other people
around when these kind of things are going on?  Couldn't somebody have said
something; done something; reported it somehow?  Please, if you know of
cruelty to any animal, don't look the other way.  I have been know to do a
little *night construction* myself....going out in the dark to *relocate*
(not dumping) someone's abused animal after nothing was done by anyone in
authority.  Once I did it in broad daylight.

I have learned so much from the FML....my little Fang is still here,
largely because some of you have guided me through all of his trials.
I remember how scared I was when Fang first got insulinoma.  Then the
surgeries; then the swing to diabetes.  That was a tough one..when a
diabetic ferret who is not yet on insulin experiences *lactic acid build
up* in his muscles to cause so much pain he can't hold himself up to
urinate.....just remembering how Fang cried during that time sends
shudders through me.

As I reported earlier, a miracle happened in our family.  Fang is totally
normal and healthier than he has been in seven months.  His glucose reading
was once so low he barely made it to surgery; four months later it was so
high it went off the scale.  Those of you who have insulinomic ferrets,
watch them carefully, and keep monitoring their glucose with the vet.
Those of you who have diabetic ferrets, get them on insulin!  (Fang never
started insulin because he was being weaned off pred at the time)....

I don't know how long we will be blessed at our home with Fang's good night
kisses.  I don't know why or how he healed from his seven month bout with
diseases.  We are up to $1600.00 on him, but never regretted a penny.  I
have now sold two antique chairs, one antique dresser, and had four yard
sales.  :-) For seven months when he was sick, he slept most of the time;
now he gallops around the house, moves his toys around, and is up four
times a day to check on what is happening, and usually, to take part.
Never give up hope, and do everything that you can do to help your babies
through the bad times.  It is in the job description of being a responsible
and loving pet parent!

Happy Tails,
Lizzi and Fang  (p.s.for Lissette: when are you going to write your book?)