From:
Andy Coghill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:38:07 -0500
Dooks.

I was planning to post this anyway, but F. Scott Giarrocco posted with a
good quote to work from:

>There are good commercial ferret foods designed specifically to meet the
>unique digestive and nutritional needs and ferrets available, and it
>should be fed to ferrets over cat food.

I'm not attacking the post (I agree with you), but I just took Cody to the
vet this weekend and he had high levels of Clostridia bacterium in his
fecal analysis (I don't know what this bacterium is/does except insofar as
it is one that is normal in the digestive tract).  I recently switched all
my furkids over to ZuPreem ferret diet and the vet (she is a very good
ferret vet) said that ZuPreem was a very good food, but that it was "too
rich" and probably caused the high Clostridium levels.  So, everyone is on
a round of Amoxi-drops for a week and the vet prescribed Science Diet Lite
to cut the ZuPreem (50% each).  Lily was so stubborn with the ZuPreem, but
she couldn't wait to eat the SDL (yeah, like she really needs to lose some
weight)...  *sigh*

Anyway, the point of my post: Does that seem to be a logical explanation
for the bacteria?  If he had eaten ZuPreem since he was a kit, would it
have affected him that way (i.e., are his insides just "used to" cat food)?
Is the bacteria even something that should be concerning?  Anyone had any
of this suggested to them before?  Vet/VT input would be great.

-- Andy, Cody, Lily, and Tripod Bob