From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 19:30:38 EDT
Ferrets 2000 Hotel Rooms:
If you are calling the Novotel for a room for Ferrets 2000, call on a
weekday and ask for inhouse reservations.  Be sure to tell them you are
with Ferrets 2000/Ferret Aid Society, otherwise you won't get the group
rate.  I'm really looking forward to Ferrets 2000!  The last FML
get-together was a lot of fun, and I am sure this one will be too!

Shelters:
I thought Juliana's post "with the territory" hit the nail right on the
head, and eloquently too.

It takes a certain kind of person to run a shelter; I sure couldn't do it.
I also think the problems of ferret shelters are compounded by the fact
that ferret shelters are in people's homes, so one or two people often end
up doing most of the work.  I think it's critical, as with ANY shelter, to
have other people help out so the shelter operators don't get burned out.

Education is also necessary; whenever I talk to people about ferrets I
always try to discourage them from adopting unless they REALLY know what
a ferret is like.  Education is something that each of us can do.  I also
think having baby ferrets in pet stores on demand is a bad idea.  I hope
for the day when it becomes necessary to put some time and energy into
adopting a ferret, so they will no longer be impulse purchases.  Ferrets
deserve that much, and lots more.

And finally, I think the FML is a wonderful resource.  If you want to see
what internet fighting is really like, try spending some time on an
unmoderated list.  I think Bill does a great job, 365 days a year.  I know
this list has provided a wealth of information for me, and I think there
are some really fantastic FML people out there.

Ronnie in Mass.