Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:59:32 -0400
From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Kaiti

First, let me say that you sound like a wonderfully intelligent, responsible
young person.  It's so good to see someone (of any age!) doing such careful
research before adopting a pet.  It's always best to try to get an idea of
what you're getting into!

>First of all, if someone is allergic to cats, will they be allergic to
>ferrets?

Not necessarily.  Cats have an enzyme in their saliva that causes irritation
in many people, especially given the fact that cats groom themselves
regularly, and their hair ends up everywhere.  I myself am fairly allergic
to cats but I don't have problems with ferrets (except intact males).

>Also, how well do they get along with dogs?

It sounds as though your dog may get along with a ferret, provided that
the ferret isn't overly rambunctious.  Perhaps you might consider adopting
an adult ferret from a shelter.  Ferrets are a little less spastic once
they're past a year or so old. <g>  Of course you will *always* want to
supervise their interaction.

>Cage size.  I am away at school all day (8:30-3:30) so my ferret would
>have to be in his cage all day.  I'd like to give him the best possible
>accommodations and I've read that the sizes for cages under these
>circumstances should be 2'hx2'dx3'l, which to me seems kind of small for
>such an active animal.  Are these sizes appropriate?

I personally prefer a larger cage, or better still an entire ferret-proofed
room, if possible.  Keep in mind though that ferrets do sleep a great deal,
and that's the extent of what most ferrets do when they are in their cages.

>And finally, does any one know of a breeder or is a breeder in the greater
>Toronto area?

Try http://www.ferretcentral.org/for-others/db-canada.html and
http://www.ferret.org/shelters.htm

Happy ferreting!