From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:00:53 -0400
IMPORTANT ***** Okay, what happened actually applied to human health
insurance but from what is written it seems that the same thing may be
applicable to pet health insurance, and I know that some people have wanted
to try to get ferrets on those, so this may affect their efforts.  You WILL
want to read about this in a newspaper.  Apparently (from radio report),
the Supreme Court just unanimously ruled that in allowing health insurance
and describing it as it did the Congress has created a situation in which
it would NOT be legal for people to sue those health insurance company for
substandard care or for the results of substandard care.  The Congressional
descriptions are such that rationing of care and substandard care are legal
actions for health insurance companies to take as they please.  *****

You may want to stop your inclusion work for a while until something is
done by Congress to force such insurance companies to act responsibly or
your time and peoples' money will go down rat holes (just a corporate money
and personal money for human health insurance will increasingly do until
enough people pressure Congress to write and pass something new that
redefines health insurance companies' responsibilities to all the rest
of us.

Sukie and Steve who will be putting even more money aside for our own
health care just as we do ahead of time for the ferrets (though we
humans are one heck of a lot more expensive).