From:
Andrea Franzini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 02:28:51 -0400
3 days after pookies 4 month mark, the time came and i said goodbye.  he is
better off now.  saying goodbye was the hardest thing to do.  i'm still in
a daze.  2 weeks ago, pookie lost the main use of his hind legs.  he would
still run about, but continued to fall over.  his appetite was well as long
as i hand fed him.  his 9 brothers and sisters piled on top of him on the
lower level of the cage everynight.  they knew what was coming.  the night
before i put pookie down, he lost control of his bladder.  he lost the
sparkle in his eyes.  i knew he was truly miserable and i had to do what
was right.  i took him outside one last time before i brought him to my
clinic.  he ran (more like snaked) through the grass, sticking his head in
the grass and making dust clouds in the sand.  that is the last happy image
i have left of him.  i cradled him at the clinic in my arms for over an
hour.  after the vet gave him the drug, i cuddled him closer and watched as
he slowly slipped away.  as his head sunk into my chest, i knew his pain
was gone.  i had only a year and a half with him, but he was my first fuzzy
and my dearest.  i'd like to thank the northern va crematory for their
complete support and understanding.  when i brought pookie to them that day
to be cremated, i was told that he wouldn't be ready till the next day.  i
was crushed that i would have to part with him for that long.  right before
the crematory was supposed to close, the owner called me and told me he
would wait for me to come over and pick pookie up since he knew i was so
upset.  it was comforting to bring pookie home with me that day.  i am
thankful i didn't have to leave him long and that the owner was so sweet.

merv, pookie's little brother is taking this the hardest.  merv is so
depressed and continues to look for pookie in every corner, then lays down
in the middle of the floor and sulks, then goes back in his cage refusing
to play.  merv is getting alot of extra attention and both of my jobs have
permitted me to bring him to werk with me.  this has been a hard week.
every little thing is a reminder of pookie and memories.  i've been trying
to prepare myself for the last 4 months when i found out there was nothing
i could do for pookie, but the final goodbye is nothing i could have
prepared for.  i hope that pookie is welcomed into the ferret afterlife
and not alone.  maybe he'll make friends with my dog who's been waiting
for some company for 5 years.  *sigh*

thank you faith at ferretsr#1 for everything and thank you to those who
helped earlier on with their kinds words and alternitive medicine.

andrea and the 9 moping fuzzies..

merv-where'd he go mama?
lucy-does this mean all these toys are mine?
dakota-i'll be your love bug.
krystal-i can't hear you
igle bigle-i'm the new baby. i run into walls.
laverne and shirley-cheer up merv, we love you.
skrappy cybil and razkal-we're visiting just to make mommie better.