From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:04:20 -0400
Unfortunately, (unless it was lousy) it looks like I've lost my training
write-up among the many things I lost with computer problems.  Anyway, you
need gentleness, consistency, patience, times-out, a medical check to make
sure there are no dental or health problems causing pain and resulting in
biting and to check for parasites and continue the shot series, plus you
need Cheweasels to help ease teething.  If you can't find them locally you
can always get them from the Ferret Store at 1-888-8FERRET .

So, I have heard back from fellow FMLers about two things in relation to
health insurance.  The first is that some states already bind plaintiffs
hands in relation to suing health insurance companies so now that people
can't sue them on a federal level until Congress gets off its butt and puts
in some patient rights laws those people have about zip recourse.  (What
ever happened to realization that bad health, handicaps, and death can
deplete or destroy the basics of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of
happiness"?  The second is that many, many states have pretty well zilch
in relation to pet protection laws so if a pet health company provided
substandard care there very possibly would be no way to prove that so no
recourse.  Save your money for their health care upfront and write off
the insurance companies for now unless you know that you will have such
protections for them.  (Personally, in relation to humans (sub-ferret
servant species: SFSS) am hoping that unless Congress jumps immediately
and takes fast patient rights actions that companies which provide health
insurance will take it down to only catastrophic injury/illness insurance
and prescription insurance thus very badly hurting the HMOs where they
live and forcing them to provide decent care while scaring the c*%p out of
Congress in relation to those bedfellows.)

Now, the question come back to where it has often been in the past:
ways to share pet protection and pet welfare laws so that all states can
improve on that score.  In NJ we have some good ones in relation to pet
stores and health care, but vets still have their hands tied in a lot of
situations.  I know that other states have been discussed here which do not
provide pretty well ANY type of protection and sometime vets have taken it
on the jaw even though they themselves are restricted by law.  If such laws
are improved the ferrets' lives are improved.  So, ideas?