From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 23:37:01 +0800
>From:    Joanne Brigham <[log in to unmask]>
>Regarding the AFA, I'm sure the leadership, with the paranoia they've
>shown before, will just dismiss this as people 'out to get them', but
>the testing policy is a mess the way it is now.

This is very true - I have know of ferrets testing positive with the CEP
test, but negative with an IFA and PCR test.  Some folks (I believe Dr.
Bruce Williams is one of them) consider the IFA test a more sensitive test
than the CEP test - but then others disagree with that, too.  I know that
several of the mink folks have gotten false positives and false negatives
with the CEP tests.

>If I go to a show and see someone I think may defeat me in competition, it
>sounds like all I have to do is say "hey, so-and-so has an ADV-positive
>ferret in their home!", and they will have to prove their innocence, which
>means they can't compete until they get a test!

Sounds feasible.  IMO it should be all or none - not just suspects.  What
happened when you do not suspect the "right" folks.  There are lots of
folks hiding the fact that they have had positives JUST SO THEY CAN
CONTINUE TO SHOW!  This is not what should be happening, but the AFA is
creating that by putting forward selective testing proof.

>Just like the Coggins Tests are required for all horses at shows --
>everyone has to do it, even if there's never been an outbreak near their
>farm.

But with ADV, ferrets have been known to have antigens after just 3 days
of exposure.  I know all about coggins tests as my horses got one at the
beginning of show season and again at the end (to go to the world
championships) of show season.  They can go positive between tests, just
as ferrets can go positive (or negative) between tests.

>From:    Sue Selby <[log in to unmask]>
>I agree with the AFA's stance on proof of negative tests in known ADV
>households.

Me too - but everybody, not just one person.

>I do not believe the Hertzogs are being singled out.

From what I have heard - I do.  If anybody has gotten a similar letter from
the AFA, please come forward and "rescue" the AFA of being accused of it.
I can think of several "show folks" that have had ADV positive ferrets in
their homes.  Their ferrets tested negative (so they say) after the
positive ferrets left, but will they always test negative?  Shouldn't they
have to show proof as well?  They attend almost every show and are "in"
with the AFA.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
Perth, Western Australia