Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 21:31:50 EST
For the last month, I have had two homeless people living with me.  They
are young, in debt, did not finish high school, and were living in a car.
One word, one gesture or the wrong tone of voice, or a look misinterpreted
and we will be alienated from one another.

Their situation is almost hopeless.  And one of them is pregnant.  My lack
of diplomatic skills and bumbling phrases easily misunderstood makes me
more of a quiet observer for now.  I pray to God for His guidance.  So far-
so good.  I ask all of you to pray for these and all homeless people of the
world.  Review in your mind how fortunate you really are.

Each morning as these two young people lie asleep, I am up and feeding my
fur children.  Little has pooped by the door.  Cheyenne bites me hard for a
treat he has been waiting for on my bed.  I feed Wolf in my lap and observe
the cancer twisting his neck and shoulder into a humpback and know I must
be cheerful for him despite my fear.

Socks lies on my foot on his back looking ridiculously dear: My heart
flip-flops as he looks up at me.  Socks: the ferret puppy.

I hear a crash.  Chewy has knocked a box off of a shelf.  A glass plate is
broken.  Poor dumb Chewy: he bounces on me like a little frog each morning.
His whiskers tickle my face.  His teeth graze my toes- a trick he learned
from Baby.  Chewy is my new alarm clock.

I thank God for giving me what I can handle with love and joy: these
intelligent, curious, bouncy silly friendly beings.  They do not look
askance at me if I utter the wrong word.  They do not judge me by how I
look or what I wear.  I do not walk on egg shells in my mind-groping for
the best way to help in a responsible manner.

I am totally responsible for tiny amazing beings that are vulnerable and
childlike.  Two have just died.  Yet it is as though God made me-in part-
to help care for, nurture, and love these animals.  I am up to the
adventure-all of it to the end.

I thank God for the challenge I am faced with now.
And for His gift of joy AND tears that are my ferrets:
God Bless us all this Sunday

Lisette