From:
"M. Ashley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 22:20:56 +0930
Hi, I'm emailing from South Australia!  which is a long way away I guess
but maybe the idea I have will be ok.  This is for Debbie Seering and
anyone else who may benefit.  There are three things which may work:

1. You could find someone who knows how to bend up and solder a stainless
steel tray for your cage to sit in.  Then this tray (with your cage in it)
could sit on a wooden base that has wheels on it.  However this may be a
bit dear.

2. There is a plastic material called HDPE- it stands for High density
polyethalene.  Basically it is the stuff they make chopping boards out of.
It is very hygenic and comes in thicknesses of about 10-12mm.  You could
easily drill four holes for wheels (counter sink the holes if you can so
the bolts don't stick up.  It is a very strong material to use.  Your
thinking 'but how will the cage stay on this base?  You should be able to
fasten the cage to it in some way.  Spend some time at the hardware shop
(thats what I do) Perhaps you could put some metal strips around the edges,
but make sure they are not sharp or would rust.

3. The only other suggestion I can think of is that here in Australia you
can buy these clear plastic storage trays.  The kind that would roll under
the bed.  If you can find one approximately the right size you could fix
some castors to that.

I hope I have been of some help to you and anyone else out there.  I had
enough trouble trying to even buy a cage in Australia!  I started thinking
of ideas to build one.  Ferrets arn't a very popular animal in Australia.
It's hard to find products to suit them.  I did however find a cage and
am glad that I will have a lovely home for my fuzzies when I get them in
November (They only breed once a year over here!)

If anyone else want's to chat out there feel free to email me:

Bye for now!
Monique (and two new fuzzies on their way soon!)