Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:47:46 -0800
Kathy Cetron wrote:
>Well this breeder grabbed this ferret and HIT IT...I mean SMACKED IT
>on THE HEAD...not once but TWICE and then proceeded to YANK his
>WHISKERS and pull his head to one side..all the while screaming "Bad
>ferret..NO, NO"

I personally feel striking a ferret is uncalled for, no matter what the
circumstances.  I would have stepped in and publicly chastised the breeder
for doing so, LOUDLY.  I would also have let everyone know that the ferret
bit in that manner because it had probably been struck in the past.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>Then I went to the AFA table to report what I saw.  They looked at me like
>I was from another planet.  Then the two women in charge proceeded to tell
>me that was an ACCEPTABLE WAY to deal with a "Vicious or Biting" ferret.

They are wrong.  It is NOT an acceptable way of punishing a ferret.
Violence begets violence.

Just an opinion here....The AFA women should be named publicly...dues
paying members of AFA need to know how they are being represented and by
whom.  The breeder needs to be named as well, prospective purchasers of
kits from this breeder need to know of the possibility that the kits they
are considering, may have been subjected to unnecessary physical abuse.

Lastly, Kathy, PLEASE, if you are reluctant to name names, at least post
which ferret expo and where/when it was held.

For Our Ferrets

MC, The Rude One
(With Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.  Later today, Bancho!  In spirit,
Bubba and Billy-Bob)