Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 20:00:17 EDT
From:
This past Thursday DEBORAH JEANS, phoned to advise that her beloved
9-year-old "TWIGGY SILK" was to be assisted from her Life by her
veterinarian later that day.  Many of you have had the pleasure of meeting
Deborah Jeans during the years she travelled around the country visiting
Shelters and attending ferret shows.  Many more of the ferret community
probably only know of Deborah and her ferrets through her creative
authoring of two editions of "A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO FERRET CARE"....still
considered the premier manual on ferret care.

Deborah wrote of her "ferrety" experiences which were the result of the
"teachings" her four ferrets: WHEEZEE; PEPPER; TWIGGY; and NEWFY.  (The
back cover of both editions include a photo of Deborah with her fuzzies.)
In Chapter 11 "Remembering Wheezee & Pepper" in the 2nd edition (softcover)
she offered us a glimpse at the love and devotion that was set into play by
her fateful meeting with her first ferret, "WHEEZEE".....a 6-month-old DEW
female left at a local pet shop on consignment.  Later to be followed by
PEPPER, a handsome sable ferret who was rescued from the streets of Ft.
Lauderdale, and adopted by Deborah from the SOUTH FLORIDA FERRET SHELTER.

Only six months later TWIGGY entered her life: Deborah recounts how she was
"....called upon to rescue an 'unwanted' ferret.  I was given a box covered
with a net.  Inside was a sad sight.  The dark sable ferret looked like a
skeleton covered with fur.  She had been fed a diet of lettuce, tomato and
crab meat.  I took the frail little animal in my travel carrier and by the
time I arrived at the SFFC&R shelter, she had captured my heart.  I name
her TWIGGY SILK and got permission from the shelter to adopt and care for
her." With medical care, nutritious food and TLC, TWIGGY blossomed into a
rambunctious, little character.  Deborah affectionately called her her Wild
Child; she was forever "in trouble".  She'd climb; stash the cat's food;
steal whatever she could carry; nip Deborah's ankles (and then quickly run
away!).  Yet Deborah always proudly related that TWIGGY had used the litter
box from day one and bestowed her with countless kisses......

Now comes the primary reason for my posting about Deborah's beloved
TWIGGY's passing.  I feel Deborah (through and with her ferrets) has
provided our ferret community with invaluable insight/support during the
several years she put her acting/modeling career aside to attain her goal
of "making your home and the planet a better place for ferrets" through
her books; personal appearances and speaking engagements.

Deborah has given so much of herself to the ferret community--both
nationwide and especially to SFFC&R--i.e., her apartment was used as a
"temporary" shelter for four months (and 49+ ferrets) after Hurricane
Andrew destroyed our Shelter.  Countless copies of her book were donated to
Florida public libraries to help educate so many people about appropriate
ferret care.  And I could go on and on....

Due to personal commitments over the last few years, Deborah has had to
be out of the public spotlight....and thus has not been able to remain in
touch with the countless friends she made.  Deborah is not on-line; and
has recently relocated.

Right now she sure could use the support of ferret folks to help get her
through this particularly difficult grieving period.  I know it would
mean so very much for Deborah to hear from you.  With that end in mind, I
created a separate email address for anyone wishing to send a message to
Deborah---whether it be your condolences on the loss of her beloved TWIGGY
or to let her know how much her book(s) helped you learn about ferret care.
(Don't be surprised if those ever-listening FLO members start commandeering
your computers for their own emails to NEWFY....)

Emails and ecards can be addressed to her at my AOL "sub account":
*** [log in to unmask] ***   I will printout your messages on various
pastel-colored papers and then mail to Deborah at her new address.  If
anyone wishes to send a private note to her via snail mail, you can mark
the envelope for the "Attention of Deborah Jeans" and send to my
P.O. Box 984, Penney Farms, FL 32043-0984 and any cards/letters received
will also be forwarded to her (unopened of course).

Although not in the limelight these days, Deborah's philanthropic spirit
continues in many behind-the-scenes ways--and is not reserved only for
pet ferrets.  She continues to work tirelessly in
trap/test/sterilize/vaccinate/re-home programs for homeless/feral cats
in her community.  And is currently seeking a publisher for another
well-researched and insightful book she has written on "pet parenting".

I believe Deborah (and her remaining ferret, NEWFY) would appreciate even a
brief note from any FMLers so inclined.  It would be a delightful surprise
for her to receive a package containing abundant messages of goodwill from
so many ferret folks.  Thank you!

Barbara Ludt, Director
NE FL Branch/South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
Visit our Shelter website by created Mike Janke at:
http://www.miamiferret.org