From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:25:25 -0500
First let me say I am playing a bit of the devil's advocate here.  I am
thoroughly confused by the rice vs corn thing, and don't know what is best
for my babies anymore.

Trish writes:
>Rice is more easily digested than corn, and therefore, it is likely
>that ferret gain more benefit from rice than from corn.

What is the benefit supposed to be?  Ferrets don't need carbohydrates
anyway, so perhaps corn's indigestibility is an asset.  As long as the
corn isn't used to inflate protein percentages, and isn't in high enough
concentration to adversely affect urine ph, the fact that it isn't well
digested may make it better than rice, which is so quickly digested that
it causes a spike in blood sugar.

Trish is of course right in that Iams has not tested this in ferrets (and
probably couldn't care less) and until someone does, I will reserve my
right to remain firmly confused!

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH