Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:33:07 -0400
I read Sukie's post regarding crushing medications with some interest.  I
work in a pharmaceutical company, and I know how changing the medication
delivery could cause problems.  If you crush a medication and mix it in
some water (or even worse, ferretone or Resource, you could significantly
change the blood levels of that med.  Ferretone and Resource are thick,
and will tend to coat the medication, and could prevent the full dose from
being absorbed.  There are also cases where you mix the med in some liquid,
and there is an interaction between the liquid and the medication causing
the blood levels to shoot up, thus causing an overdose.

This is also relevant to splitting tables in half.  Not all tablets are
splittable.  Sometimes the 'active' ingredients are stuck on one side of
the table, while the fillers are on the other.  Splitting a 250mg tablet
into two 125 mg doses, as opposed to giving a 125mg tablet, could cause an
overdose.  Tablets that are splittable usually are scored down the middle,
and the pharmacist will be more than happy to split it for you.

In any event, I agree Sukie's last statement, "ask the pros"!!!  Sometimes
there may be an alternative formulation to the tablet.

I think one statement bears repeating.  ASK THE PROS!!!!  Better to ask a
dumb question than to put your fuzzies health at risk.

Tony