From:
Marissa Bonasia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:18:24 EST
Kathy,

I just wanted to say that I went to my first ferret show last summer and
was also absolutely horrified when I saw a reputable breeder and a person
who is in an influential position in ferret politics scruff a ferret, twist
the scruff and scream loudly in this ferret's face.  She then proceeded to
toss the poor ferret in the air over a concrete floor as a game.  When I
went to the show, I was with 2 people who were pretty new to ferrets and
they were absolutely horrified and disgusted to see someone behave in this
matter.  This person was asked to stop and the person in question refused
saying that the ferret was just trying to get his way or some bull like
that.

Needless to say, my first impression of ferret shows was tainted because of
this person's aversive behavior.  Additionally, I was very upset to learn
that this person is in a prominent position in one of the major ferret
organizations.

I am very concerned if this is the same person doing this.  This person's
actions need to be addressed because people may follow her example or think
that it is appropriate to discipline a ferret in this manner.  If it is a
different person, then the need for education for the people who get booths
is imperative.  They need to realize that novices do come to these shows
and may not know that these actions are inappropriate to say the least.
Please consider writing a letter to the organization responsible for this
show.

         General
         The American Ferret Association
         P.O. Box 255