From:
Rachel McCall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:27:15 -0600
Hi, all!
Well, ferret math has struck my household.  My two sons and I were at this
pet store (I know, I know) looking for a harness for my Sassy (she keeps
losing them) and we came upon this 3 year old MF male in a 50 gallon stock
water barrel.  No toys, no blanket, no potty, no box to hide in.  Just
the fuzzy, food, water, and bedding.  Well, that guy took one look at us
and just about HOLLERED please take me home with you.  I put up a fight
at first, but needless to say I couldn't leave him there.

He came with up-to-date vaccination papers, a bony body, and a harness/lead
set.  The lady at the pet store said that he wasn't eating well and was
giving ferretvite for calories.

Once home we introduced him to the other two and there were no attacks.
Sassy and Scratch sniffed his butt, he sniffed theirs and that was about
it.  Sassy "dogs" him all the time.  You know, where are you going now?
Huh, huh, where are you going?  But, nothing more than that.  His papers
indicate that there may have been another ferret in the house, but when
Scratch tried to play wrestle him (I was there the whole time) he acted
like he didn't know how to play.  He seems to prefer being alone and
cuddles, but not a lot.  I'm hoping that this is just adjusting to the
new place and people.

As to the harness/collar debate.  My kids do wear a collar with bell in the
house and a harness with bell and tags when we go out.  The collars/harness
are not too tight and we do end up with quite a few gone missing, but they
don't cost that much and I can almost always find my carpet sharks wherever
they hide.  They don't wear them in the cage at night.

Sorry so long, BIG.

Dooks to all and prayers for the sick and angeled ones.

Rachel, slave to
Sassy (hey, Mom, where's the new guy going, huh?)
Scratch (why won't he play with me)
Harley (boy, I not sure about this)
Tweety and Shrimp (what they don't ask us cats to put up with)