From:
Lisa M Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:49:27 -0500
Dooks to all the furkids and their humans.

I am having a little problem with my newest furkid and am looking for
advice.

I got Rosco about 2 weeks ago from a shelter.  He is approx.  2 1/2 years
old.  He and 2 other ferrets were found abandoned in a local park about 5
weeks ago.  They were severly malnourished and in pretty rough shape (he
being in the worst condition).

I love him dearly and he is (generally) a little angel.  He loves to cuddle
in my lap and will give kisses until it hurts.  Monday I went to give him a
treat out of the palm of my hand and he bit me.  I had to put him under a
running faucet to get him to let go.  The thing I don't understand is he
will eat kibble out of my palm with no problem.  He will lick ferretvite
out of my hand without problem.  Give him a raisin or a ferretbite out of
your hand and you will get a ferret BITE!!!  Once he gets the treat he will
sniff my hands, but he won't bite me unless there is a treat there.

I have tried telling him to be nice and when he lunges I scruff him and
telling him no.  Hasn't really helped - he drew blood again this morning.
Of course he usually has the treat (and my finger) in his mouth by the time
I can scruff him.  I know that there are many of you out there who have
rehabilitated biters, etc.  I guess I am looking for some ideas on what to
do with him, short of not feeding him any treats.

I refuse to give up on him, his life has been tragic enough to this point
and in every other way he is such a little sweetheart.  Thanks in advance
for all of your help.

Lisa (confused and concerned)
Casper (Hey Mom - would you tell the new kid to leave my toys alone!)
Rosco (Mom - if you'd keep your fingers outta the way I'd stop biting you!)

Always loving and never forgetting our guardians at the bridge - Ozzie,
Ally and Peanut the ferret dog