From:
marys100 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:15:58 -0800
I've been amazed to see that some rabbits and ferrets coexist.  Guess it
goes to show that there is almost always the exception to the rule.  I'm
quite sure that Giesela, who has killed both a chipmunk and a field mouse
and quite seriously attacked a kitten (I was right there, no damage) would
do her best re a rabbit.  Rule of thumb - carefully work your way up from
worst case scenario and see what happens.

For the person wondering about hunting with ferrets - my bookmarks are on
my old machine (I just got my new Dell today but am using my old monitor) -
however if you do a search for "Lurcher" you should find the official
Lurcher web site.  There are some narrative stories on there about hunting
with ferrets by a guy who rabbit hunts in England with his ferrets and
lurchers (not a breed of dog but a type).  The stories are very informative
and some a bit amusing.  Essentially; the dog(lurcher) finds an occupied
warren, the ferrets are released into it frightening out the rabbits, any
rabbits not caught in the nets get chased down by the dog.  A "bad" ferret
is one who continually "lays down" with the rabbits - i.e. kills them, eats
and takes a nap, or kills one then marches off to kill another etc.  They
don't want the rabbits killed in the warren where the hunter can't get to
them.  For other questions I believe we have a UK FML member who also has
lurchers.

My old machine had problems so I couldn't post before (only read) when
someone wanted to know about dog breeds and ferrets.  The advice offered
was pretty good.  I'd add this, again as a general rule of thumb.  Most
terrier breeds are not a good bet.  Some have been bred for strictly
companions for so long a lot of their drive is gone.  Still- generally
for those who are dog experienced and have a training background.
Dachshounds(sp) are like terriers with a better nose.  Usually a very
high prey drive.

Northern or Arctic breeds - also not a good bet.  I don't know why but for
every 1 bad story I've heard about X breed or mix I've heard 5 that involve
Huskies (and dead ferrets).  So Huskies, Samoyed's, Malamutes - I'd think
more than twice.

Some toys-the sturdy confident ones (like Pugs etc.) would probably be
worth a try.

Herding breeds are highly trainable - but they require tons of exercise.
Working breeds -  highly trainable.
Most Retrievers - trainable, take direction well.
To tell the truth - I'm not that experienced with Spaniels and Hounds.
I'd say that sight hounds would be questionable vs. scent hounds which
might be ok.

Get a dog from breed rescue and ask for a dog that's been fostered with
cats - that's a good clue.

Mary, Boris, Giesela and Booker the dog