From:
Tser's Menagerie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:17:51 -0000
I have cats, dogs, rabbits and ferts, among my many other animals
(reptiles, birds, small mammals; but these others don't interact).

The rabbit, whose name is Bunny, totally loves the cats and dogs, but they
never played with her, no matter how much she pounced at them or ran away.
She was rather lonely.

The first time she smelled ferret, instinct kicked in, and she thumped up a
warning!  She was safe in her cage when the ferret was out.  So for a while
I kept ferret and cage seperate... then I just started putting her hutch
up high when the ferret was running loose... then I left it on the ground.
After a few days of the ferret running around the hutch with Bunny safe
inside, Bunny didn't fear him anymore.

Now whenever I put up the barrier for Wiggy the Fert to come out Bunny
comes out too.  Bunny and the two ferrets play together... Bunny does most
of the chasing or she does bunny-robics or flops out for a nap on the
carpet with the ferrets dook about.

I'd be very very careful with this, of course... ferrets are natural
carnivores.  However, I've found that MY ferrets are extremely gentle with
Bunny, who has an inner ear problem and pretty much no balance.  They're
always supervised when out together, but for 5 months, not so much as a
squeak or thump out of any of them.

As for the dogs and cats, like I said, Bunny never even was afraid of
them... but all my pets have been around other animals pretty much since
they were babies, so they know that the other "babies" are to be protected,
not eaten.

You didn't say what kind of rabbit this is... big or small.  Bunny is an
old fashion Dutch, which is a lanky medium sized rabbit.  Small dwarf
rabbits tend to be more agressive and nervous, large breeds tend to be
more laid back.  Though, of course, that's a generalization!

Tser and the fuzzbutts, Wiggy and Narf