From:
Oren Maguid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 10:38:30 +0200
Hi Guys and Gals!,

I hope I am posting in the correct place, and I also hope this topic is not
already been spoke about too many times that you would wish to kick me!

Its regarding ECE.  I live in Israel, and I have two ferrets, One of them,
Mushu, borned here at Sep 1, 1999 and he was VERY healthy until we brought
another female ferret, Perry, she's around 1.5 years old, borned at the USA
(Ferret's Marshal or something like that).

Everything looked fine at the first few days, until we then noticed that
Mushu had a greeny slimed stool, he did it only twice until today (It all
started around 10 days ago) and that was at the same day, then I hurried
and called Bev, which I believe some of you knows, she lives in Jerusalem
here and have 5 ferrets herself, she told me it might be an ECE, and
recommended I'll separate them two and monitor them, which I did, what
happened was that Mushu hasn't stopped eating at all, Though I think there
is a small decrease in his appetite but if something wrong with his
digestion it is quite normal, isn't it?  his stool is somewhat yellowish
and it looks like it has this 'grains' inside it ..  like sesame grains.

So we came to think it might be a diarrhea, since he did got something new
to eat aside from the I-AMs he usually gets.

As for Perry, she also had once or twice this greeny slimed stools, but
other then that her stools is better then mushu's or just the same at some
times (yellowish with grains), she as well got new food that was new to her
(I-AMs) she until then used to eat Nutra Nuggets and Premium Ferret Diet
(by Marshall).

From reading about ECE at the FerretCentral Medical FAQ, I looked for ECE
symptoms at the little guys, and I could only detect the Greeny Slime
stool, but yet, it hardly happened to them, and even at the FAQ it is
mentioned that this kind of slime can be caused by a diarrhea.

Unfortunately, the Vets here do not have much experienced with ECE since
I've understood that it is not common at all here in Israel's ferrets
population.  But anyhow I am going to take them both for the Vet today so
he'll be able to observe them anyway and hand him the ECE document I got
from FerretCentral so he'll read it.

What I am asking is if someone here that already experienced ECE cases can
give me more details, opinions, suggestions?.

I am not sure if it is related to ECE but I'd like to mention that no
matter what and when, those two little critters =) were always and still
are very playful and happy and doesn't looks ill actually ..  in a
contrary, when we got Perry two weeks ago she was really skinny (Nutra
Nuggets?!) and since she started to get her I-AM's she gained weight
indeed!  and also Mushu, he is a big fellow for his 6+ months.

I'd appreciate if you could also CC an answer to my personal Inbox at
[log in to unmask] since I sometimes have difficulties tracking the
answers in the FAQ (being a busy student!  heh cant always find the time!),
If there's' any crucial info that is absent or I forgot to mention please
let me know

Hey thanks in advance,

Yours always,

Oren and Anat the worried parents.. Mushu and Perry .. The Devils!