From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:24:15 EST
I'll vouch for that.  I used Refresh on my ferrets every other day last
fall.  Well ya, they smelled sweet..but it ruined their coats.  It's
supposed to be a conditioner and is suppossed to be ok to use everyday.
But it made my ferrets coats brittle and course after a couple months
real bad.  I must say I never noticed them sneezing from it, and I have
allergies and asthma and it never ever bothered me...but Regina is
correct in that you must be careful.  I haven't tried other coat
conditioners/sprays.  I wouldn't just use a cologne if I try anything else
in the future.  If I ever try anything else again it will have to be a
coat/skin conditioner.

I know one thing... I was cleaning our cage every week, doing ferret
laundry 2x week, and scooping poops daily.  That still wasn't enough with
only 2 ferrets in a four foot cage with my allergies!!  When I began doing
ferret laundry every 2-3 days, scooping poops 2-3 times a day, there was a
huge difference.  Staggering.  My ferrets don't smell anymore.  Also the
bathing... I was bathing them every 3 weeks for my asthma.  Well... they
smelled more when I did that although my allergies were ok.  It was tough
as they smelled alot at first,,, but I stopped the bathing and did more
cleaning.  After a month, the smell dissappeared from them all together.
It was like their little bodies had a switch and it turned off when I
stopped the bathing all the time.  My allergies are fine as long as I do
the constant cage cleaning and all.  And I don't have the smell to contend
with anymore.  Ok one thing we like that has helped with ferret odor in the
home ... is Ferret Off by Marshalls.  I don't spray it on ferets ever even
though you can, but I spray down the floors of their cage between washes.
I have even sprayed the hammocks, etc when they are out of the cage to
freshen it up.  It is awesome stuff.  It mixes in a wierd way to eliminate
ferret oddors.  It works well on carpets, etc where they have rubbed up on.
I really use this sparingly however just for caution.

I hope you also know that as far as ferret odors, diet is a big key too.
Cheap food makes them poop more for one thing and makes it smell.  Food
with fish meal in it is hooooorrible.  One thing is not to knock Marshalls,
but it is a well known fact that this food runs through their systems fast
than other foods making them poop more, and the fish and other product in
it not only makes their poopies smell terrible, the ferret's themselves
begin to excrete a smell also.  High grade ferret foods without fish meal
are good... and if you want to mix it with a high grade kitten chicken and
rice formula such as eukabana kitten or something that is good too.