From:
Maria Moreno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:41:35 -0600
I got my youngest ferret from a woman who had bought him from a pet store,
but could not take care of him, I was the second home she had tried.  She
had named him Ed, and I meant to change his name, but he looked like an
Ed.  He was a big boy, he peaked out at just under five pounds, but he was
always a little timid.  He didn't like to venture far from me outdoors,
and he prefered being held to digging in the dirt.  This December he was
diagnosed with cancer, an adrenal tumor had grown into his liver, and was
inoperable (the tumor was detected through ultrasound).  Immediately I
began aggressive treatment with Lysodren.

In spite of my best efforts, Ed lost his battle early Saturday morning.  I
am not only writing to share my grief about losing Ed, but to thank a woman
that has selflessly dedicated herself to ferrets, and their owners.  She
saved my oldest ferret's life when I called her one morning at 2:00 am (she
talked me through an insulinoma reaction).  And, through this hard time she
has been there to offer advice, and shoulder to cry on.  She provided Ed
with his final resting place.  Thank you Patricia.  And thank you to all
the people who posted in the last couple of days for making me feel welcome
to share my grief.  Maria and Gizmo.