From:
bill and diane killian - zen and the art of ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 00:47:40 -0800
Okay about calling Fancy pubs and Petco evil...  That was exaggeration.
They aren't really evil.  But they are working against what we feel are
democratic and thus American ideals.

>From:    hotdish <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: What is the deal folks?
>I do not understand why this was looked at as me writing "bad".

Perhaps one of your little attacks backfired.  You did bash Modern Ferret
in a post that otherwise was meaningless to this forum.  If you'd left out
the bashing (more than that one sentance) then everyone would have ignored
the babbling about Costco.  Well then it would have been off topic so it
might not have even been in the FML.

>Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but please re-read my post if you
>think I was bashing [...] Modern Ferret Magazine.

At least three of us saw your post as an excuse to tell everyone how you
persuaded your Mum of the ills of Modern Ferret.  Sounds like a bash to
us.  So lets go back and look...

>From:    hotdish <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Costco
>My mom got really excited when she saw a picture of some ferrets.  Turns
>out that Mary and Eric of Modern Ferret were featured.

This part was good.  It actually is on topic.

>I had to then explain to my mom, why I do not support their magazine.

No you didn't.  Why would we care that your mother didn't know you didn't
like their magazine?  This is a bash of our friends Mary and Eric.  You did
not have to point out your negative attitude.  You could have left out this
sentance.  Especially since you yourself with

>Then again, shelters are non-profit where as Modern Ferret magazine is a
>profitable business, so I guess it would not qualify.

We won't talk about "profitable" - read MFM #26...

You've got some technical problems with this sentance but it appears to
mean that your mother was excited and you weren't that Modern Ferret or
rather Mary and Eric.  You made sure to highlight that you don't support
the magazine.  Then say that the whole point of your article was going to
be advice to shelters but that your advice was pointless.  That only leaves
us with the statement that you had to tell your mother that you do not
support the magazine.  Be careful telling someone to go back and check.
Someone just might.

But one more thing...

>Perhaps Modern Ferret would offer a discounted subscription to Costco
>members?

Why?  Is Costco trying to enter the magazine selling market?  Is Costco
working on some sort of promotional deal to advertise Modern Ferret in
exchange for better prices for their customers?  Special prices for Costco
members are always part of a cross promotional deal.  Costco wants to be
able to use these deals to entice more memberships.  Costco promotes (far
more than one little article in their 'magazine') that they have made
arrangements.  But didn't you say you worked in marketting?

[back to the later post]

>As for my concern of Costco putting pictures of ferrets in their magazine,
>I worry that someone will see it and go "oh, what a cute animal, I think I
>will get one."

There is nothing wrong with people seeing a ferret in a magazine and
deciding that they want to get one.  This is GOOD!  Now where would they
get the ferret?  This is where the education has to take place.  Its hardly
Costco's job to spread your idea of responsibility before purchasing a pet.
They don't publish a magazine about pet ownership.

Doesn't Costco operate in California?  Isn't Costco mostly for upscale
customers?  Such as state legislators?  Won't they see ferrets in yet one
more place in a positive light?

>I would be very upset if a publication like Mademoiselle or Glamour or
>Vogue, etc...put ferret pictures in without describing how much work and
>dedication are involved with ownership.

Why?  Should Modern Ferret or Fancy's Ferrets start publishing tips on
how to wear makeup properly?  Is that why you don't support Modern Ferret?
No glamour tips?  No "Dos and Don'ts"?

So maybe its time to end this discussion...

diane and bill
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets