From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:20:52 MST
Snoopy and Sasha were turned in together about 5 months ago.  Both are
Marshall ferrets, Snoopy is a male, about 6 years old and Sasha is a female
about 5 years old.  Their past history is patchy and unclear but mostly
a typical shelter story.  Upon arrival they were both very underweight,
slightly dehydrated, fleas, slightly anemic and both about half bald.  Only
known background consisted of inadequate care, food, medical etc.

At that time, our vet's reccomendation was to first concentrate on getting
them back to a normal state of health before trying to determine what
actual medical problems existed.  They have both done well, gained weight
and grown all their fur back and seemed healthy enough.  They both have
cataracts, it is estimated Snoopy is about 90% blind and Sasha is about
60% blind.

In the past month Sasha has been losing her fur again, only this time it is
in the distinct classic Adrenal pattern and her Vulva has swollen greatly.
The obvious diagnosis is Adrenal Gland disease and she will need surgery.

We are still a relatively small shelter, it is just me and one main
volunteer running things.  We are still working on building the ferret room
and things like an official website, fundraisers, auctions etc.  At this
time, the shelter funds are totally depleted... in fact we have a few
outstanding debts (vets etc).  We have a wonderful caring vet with a heart
of gold who will work with us and never turn away a sick animal but the
cost of the surgery and the care she will need is too much for us to take
on singlehanded at this time.  I know this list has many caring people who
have banded together on many occasions to make a difference.  I usually
pride myself on always being there to help others.  This time, it is us who
needs a hand Anything and everything that anyone could do to help us take
care of Sasha would be greatly appreciated.  We do have other rescues but
all others are healthy, have already had any needed treatments and are
recovering.  Donations can be sent directly to the shelter, to the account
at the vets or even to The Ferret Store to help with supplies.  Feel free
to contact me with any questions, to check my credentials etc.  There are
several folks on this mailing list who can also vouch for me.  Thank You
Susan Malone *Checks or money orders sent directly to the shelter should be
made out to BRYAN MALONE with *shelter or rescue* in the memo box*

Ferrets Unlimited Rescue of Tulsa
1932 South 111th East Avenue
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74128
918-437-3553