Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1992 10:27:21 -0500
>In cleaning out my old address book, I came across some notes
>I'd completely forgotten about, from when we were contemplating
>a move to New Jersey.  I have conflicting information about
>the status of ferrets in New Jersey -- namely whether one must
>have a permit to keep a ferret in NJ.  Anybody know for sure?

  Well, fact is NJ is not real keen on ferrets, however there are
no laws banning them, and up until 2 years ago or so, they were
VERY common in pet stores.  However, I think to bad PR and the fact
that baby ferrets are just so "active" (biting, smelling bad) they
kinda died out, and were left as a "fad pet".  Anyhow, there
is a paper that you (supposedly) must sign, that is something like
and "exotic pet licence" and thats all there is to it.  Ill tell ya,
of the 2 ferrets I know, neither of them are registered, and
the "ferret police" have yet to come knocking on our door.  Our vet
could really care less, just as long as our ferret is happy/healthy.

  Also, I have a question, what's a good way to get rid of fleas?
We've given Alpha a bath every month or so, but he's still scratching.
Of course we change his bedding, and spray in his favorite places.
But they keep coming back.  I just hate to see him so aggravated with
scratching and biting.

[Use a flea shampoo, such as Hagen, and go to a bath every 2 weeks.
Or even every week.]