From:
"Lisa McManus (ISG)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:31:01 +1200
I've trained all three of my ferrets (my two and a rescue fert) to come to
the sound of a squeaky toy.  Mostly it is for ease of rounding them all up
at bedtime.  Amazing what they will do for treats.  Anyway in the weekend I
opened the back door to go outside and the the rescue ferret (who possesses
incredible agility and speed) ran out.  I had just been playing with her,
chasing her round the lounge and I think she thought this was still part
of the game.  Anyway she ran down the stairs and into the bushes outside.
I clambered into the bushes after her, and could see her, but she still
thought we were playing so was running away from me having a great time (I
wasn't as I was dead scared that I wouldn't be able to catch her).  Anyway
I completely lost her, so I went to the next door neighbours house who was
in the backyard doing some gardening.  I asked her if she'd seen a wayward
ferret and she just kinda looked at me puzzled.  I took the squeaky toy
with me and was furiously squeaking it to no avail, but then she poked her
head through the fence, heard the toy and came right up to me.  I gave her
lots of love, affection and linatone and am very very thankful that I have
trained them to come to the squeaky toy.