Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 10:21:10 EDT
hello,
i don't post very often, but am really stumped this time about our 3.5 mf
ferret sebastian...i am hoping someone will know what is wrong with him.

about one month ago, i noticed he was having trouble with his left back
leg.  it would just go out from under him sometimes.  it would get rigid
and slide to the side.  he was also acting sort of lethargic.  so i
suspected insulinoma.  we took him in and had a fasting glucose check,
which came back at 73.  (right at the border) we put him on pred to see
how he responded...about a week later, we did an insulin test and it came
back normal.  so we now have ruled out insulinoma, right?  well, here's
the catch:

when his leg would get really bad and he had a very hard time walking,
we would give him some honey (thinking he was having an insulinoma
attack)...and within a couple minutes, he would be running around again.
so if this is not insulinoma, why did he respond to sugar?  i am baffled.
he has been on the pred for a couple weeks now, and i have noticed a
positive change.  he isn't sleeping more than normal, and he is walking
better.  in fact, in the mornings, he will run and play like normal.  but
in the evenings, his energy level is good, but he still trips on that one
leg.  our vet suggested that the next step be an xray to see if his leg was
somehow hurt, if he has a slipped disk, etc.  he says that the pred could
be acting as an anti-inflammatory.

does anyone have any suggestions of where to go from here?
thanks so much!
jodi and the crew of 10