From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:04:39 -0500
Hi Fellow FMLers and Babies!

I very rarely post on the FML but enjoy reading it.  In the last few issues
there have been postings regarding the Ferret Expo 2000 and Kathy's viewing
of animal abuse at the show.  I wasn't going to get involved until I read
the posting from the AFA President Vickie McKimmey but now I feel compelled
to put in my two cents?

I did not attend the Expo nor am I am member of the AFA (I had considered
joining but now I am very reluctant).  I do not know what Kathy really
saw as I was not there but her detailed description did sound like the
breeder's actions were questionable.  However, at this time, I don't think
that many of the postings are productive.  The show is over, it appears
that no other individuals at the show witnessed such behavior and the AFA
(according to Ms. McKimmey) claims to have investigated the situation by
confronting the breeder after Kathy complained.  We live in a country
where people are assumed innocent UNTIL they have been proven guilty and
therefore, at this time, I think it would be disgraceful and irresponsible
to publicly name the individual who "allegedly" abused the ferret.

I also think that the AFA's response both the way Kathy was "allegedly"
treated at the Expo by the officials and Ms. McKimmey's posting on the
FML is disconcerting.  I understand the AFA felt compelled to defend
themselves, but as a representative of the AFA and their "president"
attacking/provoking FML members is inappropriate.  (EX: "If you are bold
enough to e-mail me directly" and "Don't just sit there on your computer
and bitch about it!")  This is completely unprofessional and once again
is entirely unproductive.  Aren't we all suppose to be here to support,
protect and enjoy these wonderful little curious fun-loving animals??  How
is this benefiting ferrets?

In addition, I must question an organization that is suppose to protect
ferrets but states that they are not a "policing organization" and need
multiple complaints before steps will be taken to investigate an abusive
situation.  THIS is unacceptable in my book and I do NOT support such a
group.  You either make a commitment to protect animals and take ANY and
ALL complaints of abuse, whether it be one or multiple accusations,
seriously and follow a standard procedure of investigation (do they even
have one??  I do not know.  But I didn't see anything on the website for
reporting abuse/neglect/etc.  Maybe I missed it?  If there is one I would
like someone to send it to me, please.) OR you should not be considered an
organization that advocates for ferrets.  In addition, McKimmey's argument
that this breeder had a sparkling reputation and that no one else at the
table reported anything is insignificant in this situation, in my opinion.

As are the other examples of reported ferret abuse at other shows that
McKimmey attempted to use to support her views they are completely
unrelated to Kathy's complaint.  The only intelligent and valuable remark
that McKimmey made in her entire post regarding this situation was "Animal
abuse should not be tolerated, child abuse should not be tolerated, and the
public character abuse of an individual without substantial proof should
not be tolerated."

I think this entire situation is unfortunate.  That the AFA doesn't appear
to be genuinely dedicated to protecting our pets and that a ferret was
"allegedly" abused at one of their events.  I think it would be more useful
for everyone if we could discuss ways to prevent future abuse of these
animals.  As for the AFA, at this point in time I have no desire to be
affiliated with them.  There are other ferret organizations that I would
prefer to volunteer for that possess goals that are more compatible with
my own.

AND to Kathy THANK YOU for bringing this issue to our attention.  We should
all keep our eyes and ears open and OFFICIALLY REPORT anything that we
consider inappropriate/abusive/neglectful treatment of any animal.  And
since the AFA needs "multiple" witnesses, my suggestion is that in the
future if anyone witnesses something that disturbs them at an AFA function
be bold and question that action/behavior directly at that moment.  Also,
try and ask other people around you if they noticed something too.  If I
witnessed this "alleged" abuse...I would continue to pursue this situation
privately :)

Best regards to all and dooks to the little fuzz-angels
Isabelle