From:
"Helen L. Coburn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:03:07 -0500
I am mainly a lurker, but I am so happy that I just had to write (a little
long).  Approximately 2 weeks ago Mark (albino, 2 yr. old, de-sented,
neutered male) started having hind leg weakness.  Well off to vets, to
see Dr. Karen.

Now Dr. Karen is VERY ferret knowledgeable, and patient with new ferret
parents.  Last April we got our 2 boys from the shelter, well in late May
they started losing a little weight (I now know this is normal) but to very
nerves parents ran them off to Dr. Karen.  She checked them over and
explained that it was normal.  She has always been there for any question,
and never made us feel like we were asking stupid questions.

Well,....Dr. Karen noticed a swelling and thought it was part of an anal
gland, she did not know if it was an infection or tumor for sure.  Mark
went on antibiotics for a week.  He improved daily and started running
everywhere.  At his weekly recheck, the swelling was down, but he did
have a tumor.  Well surgery was scheduled for yesterday (Thursday).

Nervous ferret mom and 2 human brothers waited to pick him up.  When we got
there, he was awake if not a little "drunk".  Dr. Karen said look at his
butt, it is great.  (Mark had "laser" surgery, which is the reason for the
excitement) She was right, here was this shaved cute little butt, with a
great looking incision.

Now we wait for the biopsy results and watch Mark beg to be out of the sick
cage to play with Luke (Mark's cage mate).

Sorry about the run-on fingers.  Just happy everything is going so well
with the fur-butt (is that furless-butt??) Dooks to all the fuzzys.

Helen
Mark ... Mom I'm find let me out pleassse.....
Luke....  Hey we can't wrestle when he is there....