From:
"Megan J. Speckmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:23:35 -0600
Hello,
I'm mostly a lurker, but I was just wondering how many people successfully
walk their ferrets.  I have a four pound cinnamon boy who isn't the most
popular with my other three, and I've started walking him for health
reasons and because he really likes it.  It seems like he has the most fun
running down the sidewalk, with a couple of sniffs here and there.  I think
what motivated me the most for walking my ferrets was when my roomate saw
a woman jogging with a ferret.  I take my ferrets to a nearby park for fun
and exploring, but if anyone else walks their ferrets I would love any
advice.  I've found that night time is better, but any other hints would
be great.  I think one of the best things about taking my ferrets out is
educating other people about them.  It seems like there are a lot of people
who think they know about ferrets, but really have been told a lot of
misconseptions.  Today alone I had someone tell me they were messy and
couldn't be litter trained and that they were tropical animals that liked
heat.  Those were from two different people.  In past outside trips I've
met a lot of people who have always wanted ferrets but didn't really know a
lot about them.  I have to admit I'm a college student, and these meetings
are usually when my roomate and I decide to go the grocery store two blocks
away and bring the ferrets with.  One of us always waits outside and
supervises, but it's very rewarding to be able to give people accurate
information on owning a ferret and the responsibility that comes with
owning a ferret.  Well, that's my addition to fml for the next few months.
Thanks for reading!

Megan