From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:03:56 MST
Song Contest Entry For: Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Of Tulsa

The Day The Ferrets Cried (Sung To: The Day The Music Died)
Dedicated To The Many Ferrets Of New York City

A long, long time ago, I can still remember... How the ferrets used to
make me smile.
And I knew if they had a chance, They would bounce and play and dance.
And maybe I'd be happy for a while.  But Giuliani made me shiver, With
every speech that he'd deliver.
Bad news on my doorstep... The ferrets all stopped and wept.  I can't
remember if I lied, When animal control was outside But fuzzies were hiding
deep inside... The Day The Ferrets Cried.

(Chorus)
So Bye Bye Mister Mayor Goodbye.  We know Ferrets are not weasels, So, how
could you lie?
The other pets are running fast on the fly... Wondering, who next will
be sentenced to die?
Who next will be sentenced to die?

Now, did you write the book of law?  And did you understand what pet lovers
saw?  Only if the polls tell you so...
Now do you believe your head will roll? When animal lovers line the polls...
May Ed Koch save your mortal soul.
Well, we know that you're in love with votes, Maybe next, you'll want to
outlaw goats.
Did you get something on your shoes... That caused you to give us the
blues?
I was a lonely teenage brocin' buck, With a Sable and a Marked White Skunk
But I knew I was out of luck, The Day The Ferrets Cried.

(Repeat Chorus)

I met a fert who sang the Blues, And I asked her for some happy news.  But
she just cried and turned away.
I logged onto The Ferret Store, Where I bought my cages years before.  And
Joe said "We still ship there anyway".
And in the parks, the children screamed, The lovers cried and the poets
dreamed.
Not a chitter or dook was spoken, The ferret toys all were broken
And the three places that I will not toast, California, Hawaii but New York
the most.
Giuliani must have caught it from the Ca-Ca coast, The Day The Ferrets
Cried.

(Repeat Chorus)

Now for ten months we've been on our own, And moss grows fat on a unturned
stone, but that's not how it used to be.
When the ferret played for his King in Queens, In a coat he borrowed from
James Dean And a laugh that came from you and me.
And while the King was looking down, The ferret stole anything he found.
The courtroom was adjourned, No verdict was returned.
And while the Mayor read a book on laws The ferret clubs fought to save
their paws.
And we spoke loud about our cause, The Day The Ferrets Cried.

(Repeat Chorus)

Helter-skelter in the summer swelter, The fert's got dumped on many
shelters.
The Statue of Liberty was falling fast.
Poops fell foul upon the grass, The blame, the ferrets tried to pass.  With
Giuliani on the sidelines in a cast.
Now halftime air was sweet perfume, When the ferrets poofed to a marching
tune.
We all got up to laugh, but we never got the chance... 'Cause the fuzzies
tried to take the field, But Giuliani refused to yield.
Do you recall what was revealed... The Day The Ferrets Cried.

(Repeat Chorus)

And there we were, all in one place.  Ferret lovers, in cyberspace.  With
no time left to re-vote again.
So come on... ferts are silly, and most don't nip.  Giuliani needs to learn
a bit.  Cause Education is the ferrets only friend.
And as I watched him on the stage, My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
No ferret raising Hell could break that Mayors spell.
And as the ferrets cried into the night, To fight this sacrificial rite...
I saw Giuliani laughing with delight, The Day the Ferrets Cried.

(Repeat Chorus)