From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 15:43:53 -0600
Jessie
In large hardware stores such as Lowes or Home Depot and sometimes even
Walmart you can find the clear plastic "corners" meant to protect
sheetrocked corners in houses.  You can drill (or use a pointed type
soldering iron to burn) holes through with you can run wire ties to
attach the corner protectors to the inside of the cage.

And, just out of curiosity, do your ferrets actually use the tunnels?  I
was given one of these cages and all of my bunch, after one attempt,
looked at me like I was an idiot and refused to set foot in them.

Rachel
I'm likely to get scolded for this, but my first recommendation to you
would be to find another vet.  I'm fairly certain that most of the country
has designated the domestic ferret as a domestic animal, which makes a lot
of sense to me since ferrets do not survive well at all in the wild.  If
your vet said, "ferrets are wild animals", he is not a ferret vet in spite
of whatever he professes.  It seems to be a common assumption of many
otherwise well educated veterinarians.  If a vet does not keep up with the
advances in the fields of a specific species that he treats, he is not, in
my opinion, a responsible professional.  My local vet (primarily my cats'
vet) administers rabies shots to ferrets but was surprised that I wanted
tags as well as the certificate.

To actually answer your question, ferrets statistically seldom transmit
rabies.  However, I vaccinate for rabies all ferrets that go anywhere with
me.  This is mainly to protect them in the event someone claims to be
bitten or scratched by them.  Imrab 3 is the appropriate rabies vaccine
for ferrets.

Debi Christy