From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:10:43 -0600
I might be off here, but I'd like to share my observation.  I've noticed
the tone of the FML has changed.  It's almost as if people that have sad
news or need help aren't posting.  This frightens me as there may be
ferrets and their people that need our help.  Of course it could be that
things are going great for everyone, and as much as I'd like that to be
true, it isn't realistic.

It's great to have fun stuff on the FML, but it is so very important to
have a place to post a concern or a need for emotional support.

Many, many ferret's lives have been saved by people asking for others to
share their experiences and knowledge.  If it weren't for the FML, many
ferrets would have died from untreated/misdiagnosed adrenal disease,
insulinoma, ECE, blockages, and many other ailments.  While the majority
of FML contributors are not licensed medical professionals, many have
experienced the typical ailments, and some atypical as well, and through
trial and error have found ways to compliment veterinary treatment.  Many
ailments rely on supportive care to help the ferret heal, and several
contributors have years of experience in supplying that type of care to
ailing ferrets.  These contributors are more than willing to share their
practices.  It only makes sense to request their input.  Our vet once told
me that he does the easy part and that the hard part (the supportive care)
is left to me.  While I don't fully agree with his statement, I do
understand his meaning behind it.  He has performed a few miracles himself.

Losing a child of fur is extremely painful to many of us.  At those times
there may not be anyone close that understands the depth of our sorrow.
Having the compassionate FML contributors to turn to at those times is a
source of healing.  We all need a helping hand from time to time and we
are so fortunate to have each other to turn to.

I only ask that if someone has a question or needs support, please do post
to the FML so that those of us that can, will be able to help.

And in general for all that post - please try to be kind and gentle to
others.  Before angry words are written, think about what you are
responding too.  Could the intent of the message been taken incorrectly?
Could the messenger have misunderstood something as well or not written
the post clearly enough?  Is it even worth responding to?  I too have been
flamed, and misunderstood.  It's simple.  Flames hurt.  But instead of
replying defensively, I try to understand why I was flamed.

Life is much too short to spend it angry or hateful (that isn't to say
anyone is responding that way, just a general statement).  Enjoy what
little time we have here on this earth and what little time we are granted
with our loved ones, and be free to share experiences, whether they be good
or bad.

I'm here for anyone that needs me.  Many others are too.  Let us help, if
we can.

Warm hugs. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services