From:
Joanne Brigham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:54:47 -0500
Debbie wrote:
>Also, am aware that manufacturers make sweaters to cover the loved ones.
>It keeps them warm and nicer to look at when other people are present.  I
>have found that the health of an old ferret needs to be determined by a vet
>if it should have surgery.  Should the ferret have more than one illness,
>this would need to be taken into consideration.  Also, anesthesia can harm
>the ferret.

It's a personal choice, of course, but I believe most ferret clothing is
designed for costume-type wear.  I wouldn't want a newbie to think that
ferrets in general need clothing for warmth, like some dog breeds, since
ferrets handle cold quite well.  If any of my three sick ferrets were
hairless, I would never feel compelled to hide that fact from guests for
asthetic reasons!.  We have had several dinner parties since my guys got
sick, and our guests have no choice but to watch me changing the papers in
Kiwi's cage, and bottle-feeding all three sick ones.  Kiwi will often fall
asleep in my arms, and I sit right at the dinner table with her.  I guess I
don't have friends who are offended by that, thank goodness!  If they were,
tough luck -- the cages are right in the family room, overlooking the
breakfast table, and I wouldn't think of hiding them.  When Shawn was
literally nothing but skin and bone, looking like a starving refugee, I
kept him on my lap all night with 8-10 guests in the house.  Actually, he
was moved from lap to lap all evening -- no one thought he looked ugly at
all, and everyone wanted to hold and comfort him!

I think it's important to clarify that only a *good, ferret-knowledgeable
vet that an owner has a good relationship with* can be trusted to *help*
with decisions, including anesthesia.  Not all vets fall into this
category, and some can be way off base on how to treat ferrets (yup,
learned this the hard way).  Anesthesia, in certain circumstances, can be
harmful to any creatures, including humans.  It is important to discuss
with a vet *which* anesthesia is going to be used on a ferret, as I know
some are much better than others.  Perhaps someone more experienced can
share the names of some of the more accepted types of anesthesia for
ferrets, so we can be more prepared to discuss the matter with our vets if
the need arises (I know I've seen some types mentioned, but I didn't think
to save the names).

Joanne